The Norway Historical Society, founded in 1974 and incorporated in 1977, is dedicated to preserving the long history of the town and the many great contributions of its citizens.
The Society’s home, located at the corner of Main and Whitman Streets in downtown Norway, is the Mark P. Smith house. Smith was a successful businessman who established a tannery on the street that still carries that name, and a grist mill in the Steep Falls section of town, Built circa 1828 on the corner of Main and Danforth Streets, the house was moved around the corner in the 1950s to face Danforth Street. In 1977, Norway Savings Bank purchased the property in preparation for expansion, and offered the building to the Society. The house was moved to its current location in 1978, where it serves as the Society’s museum and meeting facility.