Code Enforcement

Code / Health Enforcement

Code Enforcement Officer - Chris Bilodeau

Permits & Licenses

Town Permits

The Town of Norway requires residents and contractors to obtain a permit for the following types of projects:

  • New Construction
  • Renovations
  • Electrical
  • Garages
  • Septic
  • Sheds
  • Rentals (Inspections)

Permit application forms may be obtained at the Town Offices or by visiting our Documents Page under “Applications & Permits”.

Please contact the Code Enforcement Officer for more information.

Code Enforcement Officer - Chris Bilodeau

Burn Permits

A burn permit is required for individuals and businesses who seek to burn brush piles, wood debris and agricultural materials. A permit is not required for cooking and warming fires in established fire rings that are 36” or less in diameter. Free burn permits are issued through the Warden’s Report website or by contacting the Fire Department. Permits are issued when the weather conditions and staffing allows. Please contact the Norway Fire Department for more information


Frequently Asked Questions

I have land and want to build. Where do I start?

  • A buildable lot on town water and sewer is 100’ of road frontage and 10,000 sqft. (.25 acre)
  • A buildable on a private well and septic system requires 100’ of road frontage and 20,000 sq ft (.5 acre)
  • If you have those, fill out a complete a building permit application and submit with a plot plan showing setbacks to the property line, a septic plan,
  • a cross section diagram of your structure with a set of plans showing how your home will go together and a completed passing Rescheck Certificate. Click here for the Cross Section Permit.

How do I get a septic plan?

  • A septic plan is drawn up by a licensed site evaluator and is a called a HHE-200. It is a 3-page document that shows where your septic system is located on the property. You can find a site evaluator from this listhere

What does Zoning in Norway look like?

  • Norway has little zoning compared to other towns. Shoreland zoning is the biggest but only applies if your on a body of water or stream or wetland. There is a downtown Norway/ Gateway district encompassing the Main st area.

What are the setbacks?

  • From the roadway the set back to any structure is 25 feet
  • From sides and rear of the property the setback to the primary structure is 20 feet
  • From sides and rear of the property the setback to an accessory structure is 10 feet

What is an accessory structure?

  • Typically, an accessory structure is a single story out building such as garage, shed, deck, etc… that is not built as a dwelling unit.

What are the minimum dwelling unit sizes in Norway?

  • Currently 500 sq ft feet
  • Tiny Homes max at 400 sq ft

What is a dwelling Unit?

  • A dwelling unit is defined by the 2015 IRC as a space that has separate areas for cooking, living, eating, sanitation and sleeping.

What is a Rescheck Certificate and how do I get one?

  • Effective July 1, 2021, the State of Maine adopted the 2015 Energy code. The Energy code says a new house needs to meet 3ACH50 or 3 air changes an hour at 50 pascals which is the measurement of pressure differential generated by a blower door test. That number is slowed by the amount of and how well a building envelope is insulated. The more insulation the tighter the house and more energy efficient the home will be.
  • ResCheck is a software program developed by the US dept of Energy and can be found here.
  • Tips on how to get started can be found here.

How much insulation do I need and where?

  • A thermal envelope needs to be completely sealed by insulation. For instance, if you have a full basement unfinished and unconditioned the insulation would need to be under the floor. If you finish the basement and heat/cool it, then you would have to insulate the walls instead. The amount or R-value needed in our climate (climate 6) can be found on our Documents Page under “Applications & Permits”.

What is the cost of a building permit?

  • Cost varies as it’s based on square footage of the project. The amounts are as follows:
  • Concrete foundation or slab $0.10 sq ft
  • Living space per floor $0.15 sq ft + $30 flat fee
  • Deck/ porch/ garage/ shed/chicken coop/solar project, etc… $0.10 sq ft
  • Septic system (full) -$265.00
  • Internal plumbing $10.00 per fixture/ $40.00 minimum
  • Electrical New home -$58.00/mobile home $42.00

When does someone need to come inspect my project?

  • Once the footer forms are placed.
  • Once the concrete forms are pulled off but before back-fill.
  • Bottom of the septic bed, (scarification)
  • Once the septic tank is placed.
  • Once the leech field top of pipe has been installed but before burying.
  • Once rough-in framing/ plumbing/ electrical is complete.
  • Once insulation is installed.
  • Once your project is complete, BUT before moving in.
  • Occupancy Permit will be issued at completion.

I live next to the water what can I do in the shoreland zone?

  • Shoreland zoning can differ depending on the district you’re in and can be quite complicated and is best to contact the code office at 743-6651 to set up an in-person meeting.

I live next to the water how do I find out if my contractor is Department of Environmental Protection Certified to do the excavation work?

  • Access DEP database here: …

I live close to water how do I identify if I am in wetland/floodplain areas?

  • Access the DEP wetland map information click here
  • Access the FEMA floodplain map here:

I have an issue with my neighbor or landlord. How do I get help with my issue.

  • Complete this form as best as you can and submit to the code office. Please keep in mind that depending on the issue it can take some time to get resolution as there is a process that has to be followed.

I want to open a business here in town. What steps must I take?

  • Congratulations in wanting to invest in our town and help it grow. To start one must appear before the Planning Board. The Board meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month at town hall in the large meeting room at 7pm. To get on the agenda please call the code office at 743-6651. Once on the agenda, you will pitch your idea to the Board, and they will ask questions then either ask for more information and return at a later date or vote to approve or deny the application. Upon approval, simply come into town hall and register the business with the Town Clerk and pay a fee of $10.

What code do I have to build a commercial building to?

  • Commercial buildings fall under the 2015 IBC, the International Building Code, which covers all buildings except the single and 2 family homes.

I’m a realtor. Where can I find my clients HHE-200 form?

  • HHE-200’s are filed with the state of Maine SubSurface Waste-Water Division. You can find the database here…

What codes are currently in effect?

  • 2015 IRC- International residence code. Single and 2 family homes
  • 2015 IBC – International Building code. Anything other than single family homes covered under IRC
  • 2015 UPC- Uniform Plumbing code with Maine updates
  • 2015 IMC- International Mechanical Code
  • 2015 IECC- International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2015 IEBC- International Existing Building Code
  • NFPA1- Fire Code
  • NFPA13- Sprinkler code
  • NFPA31- Oil burning Equipment
  • NFPA54- Fuel Gas Code
  • NFPA 70 National Electric Code
  • NFPA90A Installation of AC and Venting
  • NFPA99 Health Care Facilites
  • NFPA101 Life Safety
  • NFPA211- Chimney & Fireplaces
Made with ♥ by TownCloud © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.