Marriage Licenses must be obtained at the Town Office.
For a list of notaries in Norway, Maine that perform weddings in the area, please call the Town Office at 207-743-6651 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
View a printable Marriage License Application Instructions – Updated 2017.
A Maine marriage license is required for a marriage to be solemnized in Maine.
Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days after the date upon which marriage intentions are filed. If both the bride and groom reside in separate municipalities within Maine, the license must be obtained at one of the towns of residence. If one is a Maine resident and one is not, the license will be obtained at the Maine town of residence. If both the bride and groom are non-residents of Maine, the license may be obtained at any municipal office. Marriages may take place in any town in Maine, regardless of where the license is granted.
There are no blood tests required. If either the bride or groom are under 18, a parent or guardian signature is required.
Marriages may be performed by notaries public, ministers, priests and rabbis, as well as members of the Maine Bar. There must be two witnesses. The witnesses need not have special qualifications, but they must be old enough to understand what they are witnessing.
The Steps to Marriage
- Fill out the Intention of Marriage worksheet. MarriageIntentions.pdf
- Submit the forms to the appropriate Town Clerk. If there was a previous marriage, you must provide the Clerk with certified proof of how that marriage ended, i.e. certified divorce papers or a certified death certificate (These are required to be certified and have a raised seal). You must also provide the Clerk with identification, as well as a $40.00 fee.
- The marriage license is generated with the information provided on the “Intention of Marriage” worksheet. Once the marriage license is prepared it should be checked carefully by the applicant for accuracy and needs to be signed by both the bride and groom.
- The Intention of marriage license application form must be submitted ahead of the license issue date in order to allow time to enter information into the database. Both parties must be present at the time The marriage license is issued.
- Within 7 days after the ceremony, the person performing the ceremony returns the license to the clerk that issued it. After this filing, you may obtain a certified marriage certificate for a fee of $15.00. This certificate will be needed to change social security status, name on driver’s license, etc.